Get the Interview Every Time
Fortune 500 Hiring Professionals' Tips for Writing Winning Résumés and Cover LettersBook - 2004
An informative and up-to-date resource for job seekers who are looking for solid direction from Fortune 500 executives. War, recession, and political uncertainty have forced many corporations to regroup, and downsizing has been the dreaded outcome for millions of workers. Fired and laid-off employees are swelling the ranks of job seekers and creating stiff competition for a dwindling number of positions. In this harsh business climate, many applicants are finding that just getting in the door for an interview poses an enormous challenge. So what's happening on the other side of the desk-as employers review huge piles of prospective resumes? What catches their attention? What turns them off? Author Brenda Greene surveyed 50 Fortune 500 employers to find out and gained valuable insight into just what it takes to command attention and interest in a crowded field. Packed with sample resumes and cover letters that represent what hiring managers, directors, and vice presidents want to see, Get the Interview Every Time shows and tells what's expected versus what's rejected. Readers will learn how to:
• Research the company and its opportunities before sending any resumes.Get the Interview Every Time breaks down the monumental task of landing an interview into a series of manageable steps, easy to understand and inspiring to follow. Designed to transform confused, disheartened job applicants into savvy, prospective employees, Get the Interview Every Time shows how to "open the gates" through sensible, targeted self-marketing.
• Distill all of their talent and experience into a few well-chosen words.
• Showcase their communication skills through a well- crafted cover letter.
• Avoid hype and "resume-speak"-easily spotted and reviled.
• Determine the resume style that looks and works the best.
• Design and submit an electronic resume correctly.
Publisher: Chicago, IL : Dearborn Financial Publishing, Inc., c2004
Branch Call Number: 650.14 GRE
Characteristics: 219 p